Friday, October 19, 2007

Something within me spoke and I saw myself running back for my things. Picking them up was the first time to hear real bullet passing by my ears. I quickly hurried to Musu and we jumped into the nearby thick bush. There was no specific road. We were desperate for survival and so entered the forest in order to distant ourselves from where people were being shot and killed. It was now getting dark and there was no flashlight…. S. S.

When I am told a personal story of a person who survived the Liberian Civil War the sound of their voice enters my ear but my mind at first resists and refuses to allow the story to enter. Eventually the story does enter and imprints an image on my mind. I hear the stories of the senseless deaths of wives, husbands, children, uncles, aunts, and grandparents and the stories of those who will not recover from this tragic war. However, when I allow the whole story to enter and not just the suffering and the tragedy I witness resiliency and experience hope.

I also have plans now to apply for re admission at the University of Liberia for the coming 2008/2009 school year( through the grace of God), in order to continue my studies. S.S.

The level of hope that many of the survivors carry within them amazes me and their courage encourages me. I did not know what to expect when I came to Liberia or who I would be when I returned to the States. I am beginning to sense the change but I am still waiting to see what it is. However, my sense is that it is for the good.

No comments: